Frequently Asked Questions
Since the Tufftalk M comes in 2 versions, over-the-head and hard hat, it can be used in a wide variety of industries where people want to communicate with each other while wearing ear protection. For the over-the-head version those industries can range from drone pilots on a camera crew who need to communicate in order to capture the footage that they need for their production team to instructors on a race track who need to talk to a student and teach them what they need to know and more. For the hard hat version those industries can range from factory workers who need to talk to each other in loud and noisy environments to arborists who need crew members on the ground be able to talk other crew members cutting branches in trees and more.
The Tufftalk M is compatible with a wide variety of hard hats on the market. Included in the package for the Tufftalk M are two adapters (Type A and Type B) so that the ear muffs can fit into most helmets. If the Type A Hard Hat Adapter that comes attached to the Tufftalk M do not fit in the left and right slots on the hard hat then replace them with the Type B Hard Hat Adapters.
The Tufftalk M features Sena's Mesh 2.0 intercom technology which makes communicating in groups easier than the Tufftalk or Tufftalk Lite. With Mesh 2.0, the Tufftalk M does not need to be paired to other members of the group like with the Bluetooth Intercom feature on the Tufftalk and Tufftalk Lite. In addition, the Tufftalk and Tufftalk Lite only allow up to 4 people to communicate with each other while the Tufftalk M allows a virtually limitless amount of people to talk to each other within 1.1 km (0.7 miles) in open terrain. In open terrain, the Mesh can be extended up to 4.4 km (2.8 miles) between a minimum of 6 users.
To power on the headset, press and hold the Center Button and the (+) Button for 1 second. To power off the headset, tap the Center Button and the (+) Button.
You can charge the headset by connecting the supplied USB power & data cable into a computer’s USB port or USB wall charger. You can use any standard micro USB cable to charge the units. The charging LED turns red while charging and turns blue when fully charged. It takes about 2.5 hours to be completely charged.
When the headset is powering on, the red LED flashes rapidly indicating the battery level.
4 flashes = High, 70 ~ 100%
3 flashes = Medium, 30 ~ 70%
2 flashes = Low, 0 ~ 30%
You can raise or lower the volume by tapping the (+) Button or the (-) Button. Volume is set and maintained independently at different levels for each audio source, even when the headset is rebooted.
You can pair the headset with Bluetooth mobile phones. The pairing operation is required only once for each Bluetooth device. The headset can also be paired with up to three other Sena headsets.
Mobile Phone Pairing - Mobile Phone
1. Press and hold the (+) Button and Center Button for 10 seconds when the Tufftalk M is turned off.
2. You will hear a voice prompt, “Phone pairing”.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the Sena Tufftalk M in the list of the devices detected on the mobile phone.
4. If your mobile phone asks for a PIN, enter 0000.
Pairing with Other Headsets for Intercom Conversation
The headset can be paired with up to three other headsets for Bluetooth intercom conversation.
1. Press and hold the Center Button of the headset A and B for
5 seconds until red LEDs of the both units start to flash rapidly.
2. Simply tap the Center Button of any one of the two headsets A and B, and wait until the LEDs of both headsets turn to blue and intercom connection is automatically established.
3. You can make other pairings between headsets A and C, and between headsets A and D by following the same procedure as above.
4. The intercom pairing queue is ‘Last-Come, First-Served’. If a headset has multiple paired headsets for intercom conversations, the last paired headset is set as first intercom friend. The previous intercom friend becomes second intercom friend, and third intercom friend.
Mobile Phone Call Making and Answering
1. When you have an incoming call, simply tap the Center Button to answer the call.
2. You can also answer the incoming call by loudly speaking any word of your choice if Voice Activated Phone Answering (VOX Phone) is enabled, unless you are connected to intercom.
3. To end a call, press the Center Button for 2 seconds, or wait for the called person to end the call.
4. To reject a call, press the Center Button for 2 seconds while the phone is ringing.
5. There are several ways to make a phone call:
– Enter numbers on your mobile phone’s keypad and make a call. Then the call is automatically transferred to the headset.
– In stand-by mode, press the Center Button for 3 seconds, to activate the voice dialing of your mobile phone. For this, the voice dialing function must be available on the mobile phone. Refer to your mobile phone manual for further instruction.
You can start sharing music with an intercom friend using Bluetooth stereo music during a two-way intercom conversation. When you terminate music sharing, you can go back to the intercom conversation. To start or terminate sharing music, press and hold the (-) Button for 3 seconds during an intercom conversation until you hear a double beep.
When Mesh Intercom is enabled, the Tufftalk M will automatically connect to nearby Tufftalk M users and allow them to talk to each other by pressing the Mesh Intercom Button.
Mesh Intercom On/Off
To start the Mesh Intercom, tap the Mesh Intercom Button.
To terminate the Mesh Intercom, tap the Mesh Intercom Button again.
When Mesh Intercom is enabled, the headset will be in Open Mesh (default: channel 1) initially.
Channel Setting (Default: channel 1)
If the Open Mesh communication experiences interference because other groups are also using the channel 1 (default), change the channel. You can select one of 1 to 9 channels.
1. To enter into the Channel Setting, double tap the Mesh Intercom Button until you hear a voice prompt, “Channel Setting”.
2. To save one of the channels, tap the (+) or (-) Button to navigate between the channels until you hear a voice prompt, “(#)”. Then, tap the Center Button.
Creating a Group Mesh
1. Users who want to create a Group Mesh should press and hold the Mesh Intercom Button for 5 seconds until both users hear a voice prompt, “Mesh Grouping”.
2. When the headsets complete Mesh Grouping, users will hear a voice prompt, “Group Mesh”.
Headsets automatically switch from Open Mesh to Group Mesh.
Group Intercom allows you to instantly create a multi-way conference intercom with three other most recently paired headsets.
1. Go through intercom pairing with up to three headsets you want to have Group Intercom with.
2. Tap the (+) Button and (-) Button to begin Group Intercom. The LED will flash green.
3. To terminate Group Intercom, press and hold the Center Button for 1 second during Group Intercom.
Starting Two-way Intercom
You can start an intercom conversation with one of any intercom friends by tapping the Center Button: single tap to intercom with the first intercom friend, double tap to intercom with the second intercom friend, and triple tap to intercom with the third intercom friend.
Ending Two-way Intercom
You can end an intercom conversation with one of any intercom friends by tapping the Center Button: single tap to end intercom with the first intercom friend, double tap to end intercom with the second intercom friend, and triple tap to end intercom with the third intercom friend.
Multi-Way Intercom enables conference-call-style conversations with up to three intercom friends at the same time. While multi-way intercom is in progress, mobile phone connection is temporarily disconnected. However, as soon as multi-way intercom terminates, the mobile phone connection will be reestablished.
Starting Three-way Intercom
1. You (A) need to be paired with two other friends (B & C) for three way conference intercom.
2. Start an intercom conversation with one of the two friends in your intercom group.
3. You (A) can call the second intercom friend (C) by double tapping the Center Button, or the second intercom friend (C) may join the intercom by making an intercom call to you (A).
Starting Four-way Intercom
With three intercom friends connected, a new participant (D) can make it a four-way intercom conference by making an intercom call to either (B) or (C).
Ending Multi-Way Intercom
You can completely terminate the conference intercom or just disconnect an intercom connection with one of your active intercom friends.
1. Press and hold the Center Button for 1 second until you hear a beep to terminate all intercom connections.
2. Tap the Center Button to disconnect from your first intercom friend. Double tap the Center Button to disconnect from your second intercom friend.
To turn on or off the FM radio, press and hold the (-) Button for
1 second until you hear a mid-toned double beep sound.
You can listen to preset stations while listening to the FM radio. Press and hold the Center Button for 1 second to go upward to your next saved preset station.
1. Double tap the (+) Button or the (-) Button to search up or down the station dial.
2. You can save current station from the Sena Device Manager or the Sena Utility App.
1. Press and hold the (+) Button for 1 second.
2. The Sena tuner pauses at each station it finds for 8 seconds before moving to the next.
3. You can save current station from the Sena Device Manager or the Sena Utility App.
When the headset is not working properly or is in faulty status for any reason, you may reset by pushing the pin-hole reset button located below the Center Button.
If you want to restore the headset to factory default settings, use the Factory Reset in the configuration menu. The headset automatically restores the default settings and turns off.