Frequently Asked Questions
To power On press the Jog Dial and the Phone Button at the same time for about 1 second to power on. The blue LED turns on and you will hear ascending beeps.
To power Off just short press the Jog Dial and the Phone Button simultaneously, you don’t need to press and hold for a few seconds. The red LED turns on for a while until it turns off completely and you will hear
You can easily adjust the volume by rotating the Jog Dial. You will hear a beep when the volume reaches maximum or minimum level. The volume is set and maintained independently at different levels for each audio source even when you turn off and on the headset. For example, once you set the volume for mobile phone handsfree, it will not change even if you adjust the volume when you hear Bluetooth MP3 music. So you can always maintain the preferred optimum volume level for each audio source.
Button location for SMH5:
The SMH5 operates in the following order of priority:
Mobile Phone (Highest)
Music sharing by Bluetooth stereo music
Bluetooth Stereo Music (Lowest)
A lower priority function is always interrupted by a higher priority function. For example, stereo music is interrupted by intercom call, and intercom conversation is interrupted by incoming mobile phone call.
You can view and download the full User's Guide for the SMH5 here: https://www.sena.com/product/smh5/#support.
You can view and download the full User's Guide for the SMH5-FM here: https://www.sena.com/product/smh5-fm/#support.
You can check the battery level in two different ways when the headset is powering on.
When the headset is powering on, the red LED flashes rapidly indicating the batter y level.
4 flashes = High, 70~100%
3 flashes = Medium, 30~70%
2 flashes = Low, 0~30%
Voice Prompt Indicator:
When you power on the headset, keep pressing the Jog Dial and Phone Button simultaneously for about 3 seconds until you hear three high tone beeps. Then you will hear a voice prompt indicating the battery level. However, if you release the buttons as soon as the headset turns on, you will not hear the voice prompt for the battery level.
To charge the SMH5, use the USB Power & Data Cable included in the package by plugging into computer’s USB port or USB wall charger. USB wall charger is not included in the package, but you can use any USB wall charger in the market.
The Charging LED beside the charging port turns on red while charging, and turns to blue when the headset is fully charged. It takes about 2.5 hours to be fully charged.
To pair your phone to the SMH5 please follow these steps:
1. Turn on the SMH5 and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Phone pairing”.
2. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the Sena SMH5 in the list of the devices detected on the mobile phone.
3. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some mobile phones may not ask for the PIN.
4. The mobile phone confirms that pairing has completed and the SMH5 is ready to use. You will hear a voice prompt from the SMH5 saying “Your headset is paired”.
5. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the SMH5 will return to stand-by mode.
1. When you have an incoming call, simply tap the Jog Dial or the Phone Button to answer the call.
2. You can also answer the incoming call by loudly speaking any word of your choice if Voice Activated Phone Answering is enabled.
3. To end a call, tap the Jog Dial or the Phone Button, or wait for the called person to end the call.
4. To reject a call, press the Jog Dial for 2 seconds until you hear a beep while the phone is ringing.
5. To transfer a call between the mobile phone and the headset during the phone conversation, press the Phone Button for 2 seconds until you hear a beep.
6. There are several ways to make a phone call:
• Enter numbers on your mobile phone keypad and make a call. Then the call is automatically transferred to the headset.
• For some older mobile phones which do not automatically transfer calls to the headset, press the Phone Button after entering phone numbers on the mobile phone keypad.
• Tap the Phone Button in stand-by mode to activate the voice dialing of your mobile phone. For this, the voice dialing feature must be available on the mobile phone. Refer to your mobile
phone manual for further instruction.
You can listen to stereo music by Bluetooth wireless stereo. The Bluetooth audio device must be paired with the SMH5 by following the Bluetooth Stereo Device Pairing instructions described in the previous chapter. The SMH5 supports the Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), so if your Bluetooth audio device also supports the AVRCP, you can use the SMH5 to remotely control music playback. So, you not only can adjust the volume but also use the functions such as play, pause, next track and previous track.
• To adjust the volume, rotate the Jog Dial.
• To play or pause music, press and hold the Jog Dial for 1 second
until you hear a double beep.
• To track forward or track back, rotate while pressing the Jog Dial
clockwise or counter clockwise.
You can start sharing music with an intercom friend using Bluetooth stereo music during a two-way intercom conversation. When you terminate music sharing, you can go back to the intercom conversation. To start or terminate sharing music, press and hold the Jog Dial for 1 second during an intercom conversation until you hear a double beep and you and your intercom friend will listen to or terminate sharing music. To track forward or track back, rotate while pressing down the Jog Dial clockwise or counter clockwise.
1. Both you and your intercom friend can remotely control music playback during music sharing such as track forward and track back.
2. When you have an incoming call, make a phone call, or hear the turn-by-turn voice instruction of GPS during music sharing, the function will be paused.
3. In order to share music, make sure that you update both headsets with the firmware that has the music sharing feature, and enable the EDR setting in the Sena Device Manager.
To restore the SMH5 to factory default settings, press and hold the Phone Button for 12 seconds until the LED shows solid red and you hear high tone double beeps. You will also hear a voice prompt
saying “Factory reset”.
- Within 5 seconds, press the Jog Dial to confirm reset. The headset will be restored to factory setting and switched off automatically. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Headset reset, good-bye”.
- If you don’t press the Jog Dial within 5 seconds, the reset attempt is canceled and the headset returns to stand-by mode. You will hear a voice prompt saying, “Canceled”.
When the SMH5 is not working properly or is in faulty status for any reason, you may reset by pushing the pin-hole reset button at the back of the headset main unit. Insert a paper clip into the reset pinhole and press the reset button for a second with light pressure. The SMH5 will be switched off after which time, you have to turn the system back on and try again. However, this will not restore the headset to factory default settings.
The SMH5 can be paired with up to three other headsets for Bluetooth Intercom conversation.
1. Turn on the two SMH5 headsets (A and B) that you would like to pair with each other.
2. Press and hold the Jog Dial of the headset A and B for 5 seconds until red LEDs of the both units start to flash rapidly. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Intercom pairing”.
3. Simply tap the Jog Dial of any one of the two headsets A or B (It doesn’t matter that you choose A or B) and wait until the LEDs of both headsets turn to blue and intercom connection is automatically established. The two SMH5 headsets A and B are paired with each other for intercom conversation. If the pairing process is not completed within one minute, the SMH5 will return to stand-by mode.