Frequently Asked Questions
To power on and off the headset, you don’t need to press and hold any button for several seconds. Just short press the Jog Dial and the Phone Button simultaneously, and you will get quick on-and-off convenience.
Powering On - Press the Jog Dial and the Phone Button at the same time for about 1 second to power on. The blue LED turns on and you will hear ascending beeps.
Powering Off - Just short press the Jog Dial and the Phone Button simultaneously, you don’t need to press and hold for a few seconds. The red LED turns on for a while until it turns off completely and you will hear descending beeps.
• To charge the SMH5-FM, use the USB Power Cable included in the package by plugging into computer’s USB port or USB wall charger. USB wall charger is not included in the package, but you can use any USB wall charger in the market.
• The USB Power Cable is also used for firmware upgrade of the SMH5-FM.
• You can use any of the standard Micro-USB cables which is mostly adopted by smartphones and general Bluetooth headsets manufacturers.
• The Charging LED beside the charging port turns on red while charging, and turns to blue when the headset is fully charged. It takes about 2.5 hours to be fully charged.
• You can use the SMH5-FM while charging. It is especially helpful when you use a cigarette charger for a long road trip.
• A cigarette charger for the SMH5-FM is separately available as an optional accessory but you can use any micro-USB car charger in the market.
You can check the battery level in two different ways when the
headset is powering on.
When the headset is powering on, the red LED flashes rapidly indicating the battery level.
4 flashes = High, 70~100%
3 flashes = Medium, 30~70%
2 flashes = Low, 0~30%
Voice Prompt Indicator
When you power on the headset, keep pressing the Jog Dial and Phone Button simultaneously for about 3 seconds until you hear three high tone beeps. Then you will hear a voice prompt indicating the battery level. However, if you release the buttons as soon as the headset turns on, you will not hear the voice prompt for the battery level.
You can easily adjust the volume by rotating the Jog Dial. You will hear a beep when the volume reaches maximum or minimum level. The volume is set and maintained independently at different levels for each audio source even when you turn off and on the headset. For example, once you set the volume for mobile phone handsfree, it will not change even if you adjust the volume when you hear Bluetooth MP3 music. So you can always maintain the preferred optimum volume level for each audio source.
Mobile Phone Pairing
1. Turn on the SMH5-FM and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Phone pairing”.
2. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the Sena SMH5-FM in the list of the devices detected on the mobile phone.
3. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some mobile phones may not ask for the PIN.
4. The mobile phone confirms that pairing has completed and the SMH5-FM is ready to use. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Your headset is paired”.
5. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the SMH5-FM will return to stand-by mode.
If Bluetooth connection between the headset and a mobile phone is disconnected, tap the Phone Button to recover the Bluetooth connection immediately.
Mobile Phone Call Making and Answering
1. When you have an incoming call, simply tap the Jog Dial or the Phone Button to answer the call.
2. You can also answer the incoming call by loudly speaking any word of your choice if Voice Activated Phone Answering is enabled (Refer to the next section for details).
3. To end a call, tap the Jog Dial or the Phone Button, or wait for the called person to end the call.
4. To reject a call, press the Jog Dial for 2 seconds until you hear a beep while the phone is ringing.
5. To transfer a call between the mobile phone and the headset during the phone conversation, press the Phone Button for 2 seconds until you hear a beep.
6. There are several ways to make a phone call:
• Enter numbers on your mobile phone keypad and make a call. Then the call is automatically transferred to the headset.
• For some older mobile phones which do not automatically transfer calls to the headset, press the Phone Button after entering phone numbers on the mobile phone keypad.
• Tap the Phone Button in stand-by mode to activate the voice dialing of your mobile phone. For this, the voice dialing feature must be available on the mobile phone. Refer to your mobile
phone manual for further instruction.
1. If you are using multipoint mobile phone connection and you have an incoming call from the second phone during the call of the first phone, then you may still receive the call from second phone. In this case, the call from the first phone is on waiting mode. If you end a call, then it will
automatically guide you to the first phone call.
2. If you are using multipoint connection of mobile phone and GPS, you may not listen to the GPS voice instruction during the phone call.
You can start sharing music with an intercom friend using Bluetooth stereo music during a two-way intercom conversation. When you terminate music sharing, you can go back to the intercom conversation. To start or terminate sharing music, press and hold the Jog Dial for 1 second during an intercom conversation until you hear a double beep and you and your intercom friend will listen to or terminate sharing music. To track forward or track back, rotate while pressing down the Jog Dial clockwise or counter clockwise.
1. Both you and your intercom friend can remotely control music playback during music sharing such as track forwar d and track back.
2. When you have an incoming call, make a phone call, or hear the turnby-turn voice instruction of GPS during music sharing, the function will be paused.
3. In order to share music, make sure that you update both headsets with the firmware that has the music sharing feature, and enable the EDR setting in the Sena Device Manager.
You can listen to stereo music by Bluetooth wireless stereo. The Bluetooth audio device must be paired with the SMH5-FM. The SMH5-FM supports the Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), so if your Bluetooth audio device also supports the AVRCP, you can use the SMH5-FM to remotely control music playback. So, you not only can adjust the volume but also use the functions such as play, pause, next track and previous track.
To adjust the volume, rotate the Jog Dial.
To play or pause music, press and hold the Jog Dial for 1 second until you hear a double beep.
To track forward or track back, rotate while pressing the Jog Dial clockwise or counter clockwise.
Mobile Phone Call Button Operations
You can quickly make a phone call by using the voice speed dial menu.
1. To enter into the voice speed dial menu, double tap the Phone Button and you will hear a mid-tone single beep and a voice prompt saying “Speed dial”.
2. Rotate the Jog Dial clockwise or counter-clockwise to navigate between the menus. You will hear voice prompts for each menu item.
3. Tap the Phone Button or the Jog Dial to select a voice menu among the followings:
(1) Last number redial
(2) Speed dial 1
(3) Speed dial 2
(4) Speed dial 3
4. After selecting the last number redial menu, you will hear a voice prompt saying “Last number redial”. Then, to redial the last phone call number, tap the Phone Button or the Jog Dial.
5. To call one of the speed dials, rotate the Jog Dial clockwise or counter-clockwise to navigate between the menus until you hear a voice prompt saying “Speed dial (#)”. Then, tap the Phone Button or the Jog Dial.
6. If you want to exit the speed dial immediately, rotate the Jog Dial until you hear a voice prompt saying “Cancel”, and tap the Phone Button or the Jog Dial. If any button is not pressed within
15 seconds, the SMH5-FM will exit the voice speed dial menu and goes back to stand-by mode.
Make sure that you connect the mobile phone and the headset in order to use the speed dial function.
Reset to Factory Default Settings
1. To restore the SMH5-FM to factory default settings, press and hold the Phone Button for 12 seconds until the LED shows solid red and you hear high tone double beeps. You will also hear a voice prompt saying “Factory reset”.
2. Within 5 seconds, press the Jog Dial to confirm reset. The headset will be restored to factory setting and switched off automatically. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Headset reset, good-bye”.
3. If you don’t press the Jog Dial within 5 seconds, the reset attempt is canceled and the headset returns to stand-by mode. You will hear a voice prompt saying, “Canceled”.
When the SMH5-FM is not working properly or is in faulty status for any reason, you may reset by pushing the pin-hole reset button at the back of the headset main unit. Insert a paper clip into the reset pin-hole and press the reset button for a second with light pressure. The SMH5-FM will be switched off after which time, you have to turn the system back on and try again. However, this will not restore the headset to factory default settings.
FM Radio On / Off
To turn on the FM radio, press and hold the Phone Button for 2 seconds until you hear a mid-tone double beep sound. You will then hear a voice prompt saying “FM on”. In order to turn off the FM
radio, press and hold the Phone Button for 2 seconds until you hear a voice prompt saying “FM off”. When you power off, the SMH5-FM will remember the last station frequency. When you power on, the last station frequency will be playing.
Scan and Save
“Scan” is the function that searches from the current station frequency upward for stations in a whole range of FM frequencies. To use the scan function, please follow the procedures below:
1. Double tap the Phone Button. Then the current station frequency moves upward to find other station frequencies.
2. If the tuner finds a station, it stays at the station frequency for 8 seconds, then scanning to the next station frequency.
3. Scan function stops when you double tap the Phone Button again.
4. To save a station while scanning frequencies, tap the Phone Button when at that station. You will hear a voice prompt from the SMH5-FM saying “Save preset (#)”. The station will be saved as the next preset number.
5. All stations preset during “Scan”, will overwrite previously set stations.
6. To stop scan function, double tap the Phone Button.
Seek and Save
“Seek” is the function that searches from station to station frequencies. To use the “Seek” function, please follow the procedure below:
1. Rotate while pressing the Jog Dial clockwise to search up the station dial or counter clockwise to search down the station dial.
2. If the tuner finds a station while searching frequencies, it stops the seek function.
3. To save the current station, press and hold the Jog Dial for 2 seconds until you hear a voice prompt saying “Preset (#)?”.
4. Rotate the Jog Dial clockwise or counter clockwise, in order to select which preset number you want for that specific station, up to 10 preset stations. You may cancel the preset operation by
waiting approximately 10 seconds. You will then hear “Save preset cancelled”. You can also rotate the Jog Dial clockwise or counter clockwise until you hear “Cancel”. Tap the Jog Dial to confirm
cancellation. You will then hear “Save preset cancelled”.
5. To save the current station, tap the Jog Dial again. You will then hear a voice prompt saying “Save preset (#)”.
6. To delete the saved station in the preset number, tap the Phone Button. You will then hear a voice prompt saying “Delete preset (#)”.
You can save FM stations to presets before using FM radio. Connect SMH5- FM to your PC and open the Sena Device Manager. It allows you to save FM station frequencies up to 10 presets on the SMH5-FM setting menu.
The SMH5-FM can be paired with up to three other headsets for Bluetooth Intercom conversation.
1. Turn on the two SMH5-FM headsets (A and B) that you would like to pair with each other.
2. Press and hold the Jog Dial of the headset A and B for 5 seconds until red LEDs of the both units start to flash rapidly. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Intercom pairing”.
3. Simply tap the Jog Dial of any one of the two headsets A or B (It doesn’t matter that you choose A or B) and wait until the LEDs of both headsets turn to blue and intercom connection is automatically established. The two SMH5-FM headsets A and B are paired with each other for intercom conversation. If the pairing process is not completed within one minute, the SMH5-FM will return to stand-by mode.
4. You can make other pairings between the headset A and C, and between the headset A and D by following the same procedure as above.
5. The intercom pairing queue is ‘Last-Come, First-Served’. If a headset has multiple paired headsets for intercom conversations, the last paired headset is set as first intercom friend. The
previous Intercom friend becomes second intercom friend, and third intercom friend.
For example, after the pairing procedures listed above, headset D is the first intercom friend of headset A. Headset C is the second intercom friend of headset A, and headset B is the third intercom friend of headset A.