Frequently Asked Questions
A Delete All Bluetooth Pairing Information setting can be found in the Configuration Menu.
Tap the Center Button when in this menu to Delete All Bluetooth Pairing Information stored in the headset.
Access Delete All Pairings in the Configuration Menu
1. Execute Phone Pairing in the Configuration Menu.
2. With your mobile phone in Bluetooth-pairing mode, select Sena X1 in the list of devices
3. If your mobile phone asks for a PIN, enter 0000.
Assigning Speed Dial Presets
1. Execute Speed Dial in the Configuration Menu by holding down the Center Button for 10 seconds, then using the (+) and (-) Buttons to scroll through the menu.
2. Tap the (+) Button or the (-) Button to set up the three available Speed Dial Presets. You will hear the voice prompt, “Speed dial” followed by the preset number.
3. On your mobile phone, call the number to which you want to assign a Speed Dial Preset. The call will be terminated immediately. Then, you will hear the voice prompt, “Save speed dial (#).” This confirms that the number was saved.
4. Use this procedure to save other Speed Dial Presets.
5. To exit the menu, tap the (+) Button or the (-) Button until you hear the voice prompt,
“Cancel,” then tap the Center Button to confirm.
You can share the music you’re listening to with an Intercom Friend during an intercom conversation.
To start or terminate sharing music, press the Center Button for 1 second during an intercom
conversation until you hear a double beep. Both you and your Intercom Friend can control music
Playing Music with Bluetooth Devices
1. To play or pause music, press and hold the Center Button for 1 second until you hear a
2. To adjust the volume, tap the (+) Button or the (-) Button.
3. To track forward or back, press and hold the (+) Button or the (-) Button for 1 second.
Universal Intercom allows you to have intercom conversations with users of non-Sena Bluetooth headsets. You can pair the X1 Smart Cycling Helmet with only one non-Sena headset at a time. The intercom distance depends on the performance of the Bluetooth headset to which it’s connected. When a non-Sena Bluetooth headset is paired with the Bluetooth Helmet, if another Bluetooth device is paired via Second Mobile Phone Pairing, it will be disconnected.
1. Execute Universal Intercom in the Configuration.
2. Put the non-Sena Bluetooth headset in Pairing Mode. The X1 Smart Cycling Helmet will
automatically pair with a non-Sena Bluetooth headset.
3. You can have Two-Way Intercom or Multi- Way Intercom communication with up to three
Intercom Friends using non-Sena headsets by following the procedures described below.
Group Intercom allows you to instantly create a Multi-Way Conference Intercom with three of the most recently paired headsets.
1. Pair intercoms with up to three people you want in the Group Intercom.
2. Tap the (+) Button and the (-) Button simultaneously to begin Group Intercom. The alternating blue and red flashing lights indicates that the device is now in Group Intercom mode and you will hear a voice prompt, “Group intercom.”
3. When all of the headsets are connected together, everyone will hear the voice prompt, “Group intercom connected.”
4. To terminate Group Intercom, press the Center Button for 1 second during Group Intercom. You will hear a voice prompt, “Group intercom terminated.”
You can have a Three-Way Conference Phone Call by adding an Intercom Friend to the mobile phone conversation.
1. During a mobile phone call, tap the Center Button to invite one of your Intercom Friends to
2. To disconnect the intercom during a conference phone call, tap the Center Button.
3. To disconnect the mobile phone call during a conference phone call, press the Center Button
for 2 seconds.
Note: When you have an incoming intercom call during a mobile phone call, you will hear a voice
prompt, “Intercom requested.”
You can start or end an intercom conversation with an Intercom Friend by tapping the Center Button.
1. Tap once for Intercom Friend 1.
2. Tap twice for Intercom Friend 2.
3. Tap three times for Intercom Friend 3.
Up to three people can communicate via intercom with the X1 Smart Cycling Helmet simply by pairing their headsets.
1. Press and hold the Center Buttons of two Bluetooth Modules for 5 seconds until you hear
the voice prompt, “Intercom pairing”.
2. Tap the Center Button on either Bluetooth Module and wait until the LEDs of both turn blue.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to pair with Intercom Friends C & D.
FM Station Guide (Default: Enable)
The FM Station Guide setting can be found in the
When FM Station Guide is enabled, FM station frequencies are given by voice prompts as you select preset stations. When FM Station Guide is disabled, the voice prompts on FM station
frequencies will not be given as you select preset stations.
Radio Data System(RDS) Alternative(AF) Setting (Default: Enable)
The RDS AF setting can be found in the Configuration Menu. When radio station signals get too weak for good reception, with RDS AF enabled, the Sena radio receiver re-tunes to a station with better reception.
If RDS AF is disabled, you’ll have to find stronger stations manually.
Scan and Save Radio Stations
The “Scan” function automatically searches for radio stations, starting with the current station’s frequency, then up from there.
1. Press and hold the (+) Button for 1 second to scan for stations.
2. The Sena tuner pauses at each station it finds for 8 seconds before moving to the next.
3. To save the current station, tap the Center Button. The station will be saved as the next preset number.
4. To stop scanning, press the (+) Button for 1 second.
Seek and Save Radio Stations
The “Seek” feature searches for radio stations.
1. Double tap the (+) Button or the (-) Button to search for radio stations.
2. To save the current station, press and hold the Center Button for 3 seconds until you hear the voice prompt, “Preset (#).”
3. Tap the (+) Button or the (-) Button to navigate through the preset numbers that you want to store.
4. Press and hold the (+) Button for 1 second to save the station in the preset number you choose. Or, press and hold the (-) Button for 1 second to delete the station from memory.
Region Selection (Default: Worldwide)
You can select the proper FM frequency range for your location from the Sena Device Manager or the Sena Smartphone App. Using the region setting, you can optimize the seek function to avoid unnecessary frequency ranges.
Navigating Preset Stations
Using the methods above, up to 10 radio stations can be stored. Press and hold the Center Button for 1 second to navigate through the saved stations.
Note: You can use the Sena Device Manager or the Sena Smartphone App to save the preset stations.
Temporary Station Preset
The Temporary Preset feature automatically finds and saves the nearest 10 radio stations without
changing your existing preset stations.
1. Tap the (+) Button three times to automatically find and save 10 stations.
2. The temporary preset stations will be cleared when the Bluetooth Module reboots.
To erase all of your settings and start fresh, the headset can be restored to factory default
settings using the Factory Reset feature in the Configuration Menu.
When the helmet’s Bluetooth Module is not working properly, you can easily reset the unit:
1. Locate the pinhole reset button below the (+) Button.
2. Gently insert a paper clip into the hole and press and Fault Reset Button for 1 second with light pressure.
3. The communication module will shut down.
Note: Fault Reset will not restore the Bluetooth Module to factory default settings.
The headset prioritizes connected devices in the following order:
Mobile phone (highest)
Music sharing via Bluetooth stereo
Bluetooth stereo music (lowest)
A lower-priority function gets interrupted by a higher-priority function. For example, stereo music will be interrupted by an Intercom Conversation; an Intercom Conversation will be interrupted by an incoming mobile phone call.
Advanced Noise Control™ (Default: Enable)
An Advanced Noise Control setting can be found in the Configuration Menu.
If Advanced Noise Control is enabled, background noise is reduced during intercom conversations. If Advanced Noise Control is disabled, the background noise is mixed with your voice while using the intercom.
The Bluetooth Communication Module can be configured by following a series of voice prompts.
Further details about each of these settings will be explained on the following pages.
1. To access the Configuration Menu, press and hold the Center Button for 10 seconds until you
hear the voice prompt, “Configuration menu.”
2. Tap the (+) Button or the (-) Button to navigate between the menus. You will hear voice prompts for each menu item.
3. You can enable/disable the feature or execute the command by tapping the Center Button.
Introduction to the X1 Cycling helmet with product tutorial in video.
Introduction to the X1 Cycling helmet with product details in video.
Checking the Bluetooth Module’s Battery Level
There are two ways to check battery level:
1. Visually, with LEDs when powering on.
Note: Blinking LEDs alternate from blue to red
when battery power is low.
2. Audible method: Press and hold the Center Button and the (+) Button for 3 more seconds
as the headset powers on. A prompt will announce the remaining battery level.
The Bluetooth Communication Module can be charged using many common methods via the
supplied USB power & data cable:
1. Plugged into a computer’s USB port.
2. With a USB-equipped AC adapter via a wall outlet charger.
Note: Please make sure to take off your helmet while charging. The headset automatically turns
off during charging.
Depending upon the charging method, the Bluetooth Module will be fully charged in about 2.5 hours.
Sena Device Manager
The Sena Device Manager allows you to upgrade the Bluetooth Communication Module’s firmware and configure its settings directly from your PC or Apple computer. Using this software, you can assign speed dial presets, FM radio station presets and more. For more information on downloading the Sena Device Manager, please visit sena.com.
Sena Smartphone App
The Sena Smartphone App allows you to configure the Bluetooth Communication Module’s settings, as well as access the User’s and Quick Start Guides. To do so, pair your mobile phone with your X1 Smart Cycling Helmet. Run the Sena Smartphone App and configure the settings directly from your smartphone. You can download the Sena Smartphone App for Android and Apple operating systems.
Pairing with the Remote Control
1. Turn on the Bluetooth Module and the Remote Control device.
2. Execute Remote Control Pairing in the Configuration Menu.
Access Remote Control Pairing in the Configuration Menu
3. Enter pairing mode in the Remote Control device. The Bluetooth Module will automatically connect with the Remote Control device in pairing mode. You will hear a voice prompt, “Remote control connected,” when they are successfully paired.
Enter Pairing Mode