Frequently Asked Questions
This video explains how to get started with the new 30K including on/off, all the buttons explained and charging your device.
How do I perform a Fault Reset on my device?
When the headset is not working properly, you can easily reset the unit:
1. Locate the pinhole reset button below on the back of the main unit.
2. Gently insert a paperclip into the hole and tap the Fault Reset Button with light pressure.
3. The headset will shut down.
Note: Fault Reset will not restore the headset to factory default settings.
How do I preform a Factory reset on my device?
To erase all of your settings and start fresh, the headset can be restored to factory default settings using the Factory Reset feature.
1. Execute Phone Selective Pairing by holding down the Phone Button for 5 seconds. Tap the Phone Button once within 2 seconds.
2. With your mobile phone in Bluetoothpairing mode, select the headset in the listof devices detected.
3. If your mobile phone asks for a PIN, enter 0000.
1. Execute Second Mobile Phone Pairing by holding down the Jog Dial for 5 seconds. Tap the Phone Button once within 2 seconds.
2. With your mobile phone in Bluetooth-pairing mode, select the headset in the list of devices detected.
3. If your mobile phone asks for a PIN, enter 0000.
1. Execute Media Selective Pairing by holding down the Phone Button for 5 seconds. Tap the Jog Dial once within 2 seconds.
2. With your mobile phone in Bluetoothpairing mode, select the headset in the list of devices detected.
3. If your mobile phone asks for a PIN, enter 0000.
How do I delete all Pairing information?
A Delete All Bluetooth Pairing Information setting can be found in the Headset Configuration
Menu. Tap the Phone Button when in this menu to Delete All Bluetooth Pairing Information stored in the headset.
1. Execute GPS Pairing by holding down the Jog Dial for 5 seconds. Within 2 seconds, tap the
Phone Button once to hear the voice prompt, “Second mobile phone pairing”. Again within 2
seconds, tap the Phone Button to hear the voice prompt, “GPS pairing”.
2. With your Bluetooth device on the GPS navigation screen, select the headset in the list of
3. If your Bluetooth device asks for a PIN, enter
This video explains how the 30K can pair with other Bluetooth devices.
You can start sharing music with one intercom friend using Bluetooth stereo music during a two-way intercom conversation and one participant of a Mesh. Both you and your intercom friend can remotely control music playback such as track forward and track back. If you start sharing music while Bluetooth intercom and Mesh Intercom are running at the same time, then music shared during Bluetooth intercom will take priority over music shared during Mesh Intercom. The Creator will send a request message to a headset connected during Mesh Intercom and will share music with the first participant that accepts the request.
Applies to 30K Firmware v2.0
You can play music that is stored on non-Bluetooth devices such as MP3 players. To connect your device to the headset, plug the enclosed 2.5 to 3.5 mm audio cable into the AUX ports, both on the headset and on your device.
1. To play or pause music, press and hold the Jog Dial for 1 second until you hear a double beep.
2. To adjust the volume, rotate the Jog Dial clockwise or counterclockwise.
3. To track forward or back, rotate while pressing the Jog Dial clockwise or counterclockwise.
This video explains Stereo Music and playing music with Bluetooth devices.
Multi-Way Intercom enables conference-call-style conversations with up to three Intercom Friends at the same time. While Multi-Way Intercom is in progress, mobile phone connection is temporarily disconnected. However, as soon as Multi-Way Intercom terminates, the mobile phone connection will be reestablished.
Starting a Three-Way Intercom Conference
You (A) can have a Three-Way Intercom Conference with two other Intercom
Friends (B & C) by establishing two intercom connections simultaneously.
1. Pair your headset (A) with those of two other Intercom Friends (B & C).
2. Start an intercom conversation with one of the two friends in your intercom group. For
example, you (A) may start an intercom conversation with the Intercom Friend (B). Or, Intercom Friend (B) may start an intercom call with you (A).
3. Then, you (A) can call the second Intercom Friend (C), or the second Intercom Friend
(C) may join the intercom by making an intercom call to you (A).
4. Now you (A) and two Intercom Friends (B & C) are having a Three-Way Intercom Conference.
Starting a Four-Way Intercom Conference
With three Intercom Friends connected, a new participant (D) can make it a Four-Way
Intercom Conference by making an intercom call to either (B) or (C).
Ending Multi-Way Intercom
1. Press the Jog Dial for 1 second until you hear a beep to terminate all intercom
2. Tap the Jog Dial to disconnect from your first Intercom Friend. Double tap the
Jog Dial to disconnect from your second Intercom Friend.
Universal Intercom allows you to have intercom conversations with users of non-Sena Bluetooth headsets. You can pair your headset with only one non-Sena headset at a time. The intercom distance depends on the performance of the Bluetooth headset to which it’s
connected. When a non-Sena Bluetooth headset is paired with the Sena headset, if another Bluetooth device is paired via Second Mobile Phone Pairing, it will be disconnected.
1. Execute Universal Intercom in the Headset Configuration Menu.
2. Put the non-Sena Bluetooth headset in Pairing Mode. The headset will automatically pair with a non-Sena Bluetooth headset.
3. You can have Two-Way Intercom or MultiWay Intercom communication with up to three
Intercom Friends using non-Sena headsets by following the procedures described below.
You can have a Three-Way Conference Phone Call by adding an Intercom Friend to the mobile phone conversation.
1. During a mobile phone call, tap the Jog Dial once, twice or, three times to invite one of your
Intercom Friends to the conversation.
2. To disconnect the intercom during a conference phone call, tap the Jog Dial once, twice or
3. To disconnect the mobile phone call during a conference phone call, tap the Phone Button.
Note: When you have an incoming intercom call during a mobile phone call, you will hear a voice
prompt, “Intercom requested.”
This video explains the new 30K and the Mesh Intercom.
Mesh Intercom is a new technology from Sena that makes communication with each other as easy as possible. Simply press the Mesh Intercom Button on top of the 30K to turn on Public Mode, and you will be automatically and instantaneously connected to a virtually limitless amount of 30K users within a mile range. Intercom connections are also now more stable than ever with Sena’s new Mesh Intercom™ technology. When one of a group’s riders goes out of range, the rest of the group remains seamlessly connected while the 30K still intelligently searches for the lost connection and reconnects automatically once back in range. No longer will you have to worry about losing half of your group due to a Bluetooth chain linked connection of the past. With Private Mode you can invite and communicate with up to 16 riders at a range of up to 2.0 km (1.2 miles), while an endless amount of Guests can join to listen in as well. When riding with 5 or more riders, the Mesh Intercom will intelligently keep the group connected at a range of up to 8 km (5 miles).
Mesh intercom is explained in the video below.
Mesh Intercom Conference with Bluetooth Intercom Participant
Users can use the existing Bluetooth intercom and Mesh Intercom function at the same time. In this case, it is recommended to communicate with other Sena headsets via Bluetooth intercom connection and use Mesh Intercom between 30K headsets.
Note: If a closed loop is created, as shown below, each user will experience severe noise issues. Sena recommends that a closed loop not be created.
In order to use Private Mode on the 30K to connect your riding buddies together, a Mesh needs to be created by one of the riders in the group. A "creator" can create a Mesh using the following steps.
Creating a Mesh
- While everyone is in Public Mode, press and hold the Mesh Intercom Button for 5 seconds to hear the voice prompt "Creating mesh".
Nearby riders in Public Mode will receive an invitation from the "creator" and hear a voice prompt say "Would you like to join the mesh?"
The invited rider can accept the invitation from the “creator” within 30 seconds by tapping the Mesh Intercom Button once. After accepting the invitation, the invited rider's headset will give the voice prompt “Joined the mesh”.
Joining an Existing Mesh
For those riders that did not receive an invitation from the "creator" or did not accept the initial invite, you can join a Mesh that has already been started.
- Tap the Mesh Intercom Button on your 30K twice. You will hear the voice prompt “Searching for mesh” on your headset.
The creator of the Mesh can accept or reject the request to join the Mesh after hearing the voice prompt "Would you like to accept a new participant?".
- To accept - The "creator" needs to tap the Mesh Intercom Button once.
- The rider will hear the voice prompt "Joined the mesh".
- To reject – The "creator" needs to hold the Mesh Intercom Button for 1 second.
- The rider will hear the voice prompt “Mesh intercom denied”.
Quitting the Mesh
The 30K will remember which headsets it is connected to in a Mesh even if the headset is powered off. If you want to create a new Mesh with a new group of riding buddies then you need to quit the Mesh.
- Hold down the Mesh Intercom Button for 8 seconds, you will hear the voice prompt “Quit the mesh”.
The creator or a participant can quit the Mesh. When someone quits the Mesh, the headset will automatically switch to Public Mode and the stored connection information will be deleted.
Public Mode on the 30K makes communicating with each other as simple as possible with only needing to push one button to turn on Mesh Intercom feature and instantly connect with nearby 30K users without the need to pair your headset together with your riding buddies.
When Mesh Intercom is in Public Mode, you will be able to connect to and talk freely with a virtually limitless number of users nearby within a half-mile radius around you.
You can have up to 6 riders talking at the same time while all of the nearby riders can listen to the conversation.
Private Mode on the 30K allows you to talk with your riding buddies in a private conversation using the Mesh Intercom feature.
When connected together, a group of riders form what is known as a "mesh" which is self-organizing, self-healing and self-optimizing. No longer will you have to worry about losing half of your group due to a Bluetooth chain linked connection of the past. With Private Mode you can invite and communicate with up to 16 riders at a range of up to 2.0 km (1.2 miles). When riding with 5 or more riders, the Mesh Intercom will intelligently keep the group connected at a range of up to 8 km (5 miles).
This video is explaining the 30K using Public Mode for Mesh Intercom.
Explaining Private mode for the 30K. This Video will help you understand creating a Private Mesh, joining, leaving and even understanding joining as a guest.
Pull the Mesh Intercom Antenna outwards slightly to unfold it.
This video on the 30K explains how you can have non-30K user such as a 20S and still join the Mesh Intercom by pairing first to the 30K then becoming part of the group.
This video helps explain using Mesh Intercom and the easy way to connect.
The RDS AF setting can be found in the settings menu, accessible through Sena Device Manager or Sena Smartphone App.
When radio station signals get too weak for a good reception, with RDS AF enabled, the Sena radio receiver re-tunes to a station with better reception. If RDS AF is disabled, you’ll have to find stronger stations manually.
This video explains the 30K using FM radio. You can also use Voice Commands for FM radio!
The voice command of the headset allows you to operate certain operations by simply using your voice. You can control the headset completely handsfree using the voice recognition. The voice command function works only with English commands.
Speak a voice command from the table below:
In this video it is explained how to use Voice Commands with the new 30K.
This video explains Voice Commands for the 30K.
A Smart Volume Control setting can be found in the settings menu, accessible through Sena Device Manager or Sena Smartphone App. Enabling Smart Volume Control automatically changes the level of the speaker volume based on the level of the environment noise. You can enable it by setting the sensitivity to low, medium or high.
Why can't I hear voice prompts?
A Voice prompt setting can be found in the settings menu, accessible through Sena Device Manager or Sena Smartphone App. If Voice prompt is enabled, you can hear Voice prompts for different kinds of features. If Voice prompt is disabled, Voice prompts are silenced except for those in the Configuration Menu, battery level indication, speed dial, and FM radio functions.
Why can't I hear my own voice over intercom?
A Sidetone setting can be found in the settings menu, accessible through Sena Device Manager or Sena Smartphone App. Sidetone is the sound of your own voice as picked up by your headset’s microphone and reproduced in your own ear, by your own speaker. It helps you to naturally speak at the correct level according to varying helmet noise conditions. If this feature is enabled, you can hear what you are speaking during an intercom conversation or a phone call.
How do I enable "Advanced Noise Control"?
The Advanced Noise Control setting can be found in the settings menu, accessible through Sena Device Manager or Sena Smartphone App. If Advanced Noise Control is enabled, background noise is reduced during intercom conversations. If Advanced Noise Control is disabled, the background noise is mixed with your voice while using the intercom.
The Intercom VOX Sensitivity setting can be found in the settings menu, accessible through Sena Device Manager or Sena Smartphone App. The sensitivity can be adjusted depending on your riding environment. Level 5 is the highest sensitivity setting and 1 is the lowest.
The VOX Intercom setting can be found in the settings menu, accessible through Sena Device
Manager or Sena Smartphone App. If VOX Intercom is enabled, you can initiate an intercom conversation with the last connected intercom friend by voice. When you want to start intercom, say a word such as “Hello” loudly or blow air into the microphone. If you start an intercom conversation by voice, the intercom terminates automatically when you and your intercom friend remain silent for 20 seconds. However, if you manually start an intercom conversation by tapping the Jog Dial, you have to terminate the intercom conversation manually. However, if you start the intercom by voice and end it manually by tapping the Jog Dial, you will not be able to start intercom by voice temporarily. In this case, you have to tap the Jog Dial to restart the intercom. This is to prevent repeated unintentional intercom connections by strong wind noise. After rebooting the headset, you can start the intercom by voice again.
How do I access the Configuration Menu?
30K video explaining how to get to the Configuration Menu and all the choices there in.
How do I activate Ambient Mode?
You can hear the ambient sound outside of your helmet by activating the Ambient Mode. To activate press the Ambient Mode Button twice which is placed on the bottom of the clamp unit.
To deactivate the Ambient Mode, press the Ambient Mode Button twice again.
This video explains how to install the 30K on your helmet.
You can connect your earbuds to the clamp while having the speakers connected to the clamp. The sound of the earbuds will be active while the sound of the outer speakers becomes inactive.
If you want to use a different microphone instead of the static boom microphone, please refer to the following steps.
1. Remove the back plate of the clamp unit.
2. Connect the microphone according to your helmet type.
3. Lock the microphone to the clamp.
4. Reattach the back plate to cover the microphone and the speaker port.
The headset will be fully charged in about 1.5 hours. (The charging time may vary depending on the charging method.)
- The headset includes a Fast Charging feature which allows it to charge quickly over a short
period of time. For example, a user can get 5 hours of talk time after charging the headset for 20 minutes.
- Any 3rd party USB charger can be used with Sena products if the charger is approved
by either the FCC, CE, IC or other locally approved agencies that Sena accepts.
Is the 30K compatible with Sena remote controls? Yes, the 30K is compatible with the Handlebar Remote, Wristband Remote, RC3 and RC4. When the 30K is paired to the RC4 then the Multi-function Button is assigned to the Ambient Mode Button on the clamp kit which is the same as with the 20S and 20S EVO.
30K Firmware Version 2.0
Audio Multitasking allows you to have an intercom conversation while simultaneously listening to music, FM radio, or GPS instructions. The overlaid audio is played in the background with reduced volume whenever there is an intercom conversation and will return to normal volume once the conversation is finished. The Audio Multitasking feature can be configured through the Intercom Audio Overlay Sensitivity and Audio Overlay Volume Management settings.
Audio Multitasking Settings
The Mesh Intercom Audio Multitasking feature is always on.
The Bluetooth Intercom Audio Multitasking (Default: Disabled) setting can be found in the settings menu, accessible through the Sena Device Manager or the Sena Smartphone App.
1. Bluetooth Intercom Audio Multitasking will be activated during two-way intercom conversations with a headset that also supports this feature.
2. HD Intercom will become disabled temporarily when Bluetooth Intercom Audio Multitasking is enabled.
3. For Bluetooth Intercom Audio Multitasking to work properly, you need to power the headset off and on. Please restart the headset.
4. Some GPS devices may not support this feature.
5. Bluetooth Intercom Audio Multitasking has limited usage for iOS devices.
Intercom-Audio Overlay Sensitivity (Default: 3)
The Intercom-Audio Overlay Sensitivity setting can be found in the settings menu, accessible
through Sena Device Manager or Sena Smartphone App. The music, FM radio and GPS volume will be lowered to play in the background if you talk over the intercom while the overlaid audio is playing. You can adjust the intercom sensitivity to activate this background audio mode. Level 1 has the lowest sensitivity and level 5 has the highest sensitivity.
If your voice is not louder than the sensitivity of the selected level, the overlaid audio
will not be lowered.
Audio Overlay Volume Management (Default: Disable)
The Audio Overlay Volume Management setting can be found in the settings menu, accessible through Sena Device Manager or Sena Smartphone App. The music, FM radio and GPS overlaid audio reduces in volume whenever there is an ongoing intercom conversation. If Audio Overlay Volume Management is enabled, the volume level of the overlaid audio will not be reduced during intercom conversation.
Audio Multitasking allows you to have an intercom conversation while simultaneously listening to music, FM radio, or GPS instructions. The overlaid audio is played in the background with reduced volume whenever there is an intercom conversation and will return to normal volume once the conversation is finished. The Audio Multitasking feature can be configured through the IntercomAudio Overlay Sensitivity and Audio Overlay Volume Management settings.