Frequently Asked Questions
Powering On and Off
To power on the headset, press the (+) Button and the (−) Button at the same time while hearing ascending beeps and a voice prompt, “Hello”. To power off the headset, press the (+) Button and the (−) Button at the same time while hearing descending beeps and a voice prompt, “Goodbye”.
To power on the device, tap the Front Button and the blue LED will appear. To power off the device, press and hold the Front Button and the Joystick for two seconds until the red LED blinks.
You can charge the headset and the Handlebar Remote by connecting the supplied USB power & data cable into a computer’s USB port or USB wall charger. You can use any standard micro USB cable to charge the units. The charging LEDs turn red while they are charging and turn blue when they are fully charged. It takes about 2.5 hours to be completely charged.
When charging the battery, use only the approved charger provided by the manufacturer. Use of a non-approved charger may cause fire, explosion, leakage, and other hazards which may also reduce the life time or performance of the battery.
Any 3rd party USB charger can be used with Sena products if the charger is approved by either the FCC, CE, IC or other locally approved agencies that Sena accepts.
Please make sure to take off your 10U-installed helmet while charging. The headset automatically turns off during charging.
Checking the Battery Level
When the headset or the Handlebar Remote is powering on, their red LED flashes rapidly indicating the battery level.
4 flashes = High, 70~100%
3 flashes = Medium, 30~70%
2 flashes = Low, 0~30%
Voice Prompt Indicator
When you power on the headset, keep pressing the (+) Button and the (−) Button simultaneously for about 3 seconds until you hear three, high toned beeps. Then you will hear a voice prompt indicating the battery level. However, if you release the buttons as soon as the headset turns on, you will not hear the voice prompt for the battery level indication.
1. The battery performance may be reduced over time with usage.
2. Battery life may vary depending on conditions, environmental factors, functions of the product in use, and devices used with it.
You can easily adjust the volume by moving the Joystick up or down. You will hear a beep when the volume reaches the maximum or minimum level. The volume is set and maintained independently at different levels for each audio source even when you reboot the headset. For example, once you set the volume for mobile phone handsfree, it will not change even if you adjust the volume for your Bluetooth MP3 music. However, if you adjust the volume during stand-by mode, it will affect volume levels of every audio source.
Use of the product at a high volume for a long period of time may damage your eardrums or hearing ability. Keep the volume at a modest level to prevent damage.
Mobile Phone Pairing - Mobile Phone, Bluetooth Stereo Device
Follow the procedure below to pair a mobile phone or a Bluetooth stereo
device such as an MP3 player with your 10U.
1. Press and hold the Joystick for 5 seconds until you hear a voice prompt, “Phone pairing”.
2. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the Sena 10U in the list of the devices detected on the mobile phone.
3. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some mobile phones may not ask for the PIN.
4. The mobile phone confirms that pairing has been completed and the 10U is ready to use. You will hear a voice prompt, “Your headset is paired”.
5. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the 10U will return to stand-by mode.
1. If the Bluetooth connection between the headset and a mobile phone is disconnected, tap the Rear Button to recover the Bluetooth connection immediately.
2. If the Bluetooth connection between the headset and a media player is disconnected, press the Joystick for 1 second to recover the Bluetooth connection and play.
1. To pair the second mobile phone, press and hold the Headset (–) Button for 12 seconds until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear a voice prompt, “Phone pairing”.
2. Tap the (+) Button until you will hear a voice prompt saying “GPS pairing”.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on the GPS navigation. Select the Sena 10U in the list of the devices detected on the GPS.
4. Enter 0000 for the PIN.
When Audio Multitasking is enabled, if you pair your GPS device via GPS Pairing, its instructions will not interrupt your intercom conversations, but will overlay with them.
If your Handlebar Remote becomes disconnected from your headset, check if they have enough battery power or if they are not separated by more than 10 meters. If they are low on battery, recharge and try again. If they are too far apart, bring them closer. If they are still disconnected, try pairing them again by following the procedure below.
1. Turn on the 10U and the Handlebar Remote.
2. Press the (+) Button for 10 seconds to enter the configuration menu. Tap the (+) Button until you hear a voice prompt saying, “Remote control pairing”. Press the (−) Button to enter into Remote Control Pairing mode and the red LED will flash rapidly and you will hear multiple beeps.
3. On the Handlebar Remote, press the Rear Button for 5 seconds until its LED flashes red and blue. The 10U will automatically perform pairing with the Handlebar Remote in pairing mode. The Handlebar Remote’s LED will flash blue every two seconds and you will hear a voice prompt, “Remote control connected” when they are successfully connected.
Using the Handlebar Remote
1. When you have an incoming call, simply tap the Rear Button or the Front Button to answer the call.
2. You can also answer the incoming call by loudly speaking any word of your choice if Voice Activated Phone Answering (VOX Phone) is enabled, unless you are connected to intercom.
3. To end a call, tap the Rear Button or press the Front Button for 2 seconds until you hear a beep, or wait for the called person to end the call.
4. To reject a call, press the Front Button for 2 seconds until you hear a beep while the phone is ringing.
5. There are several ways to make a phone call:
– Enter numbers on your mobile phone’s keypad and make a call. Then the call is automatically transferred to the headset.
– Tap the Rear Button in stand-by mode to activate the voice dialer of your mobile phone. For this, the voice dialing function must be available on the mobile phone. Refer to your mobile phone manual for further instruction.
1. If you have two phones connected to your headset and you have an incoming call from the second phone during a call involving the first phone, then you may still receive the call from the second phone. In this case, the call from the first phone is on waiting mode. If you end a call, then it will automatically transfer you to the first phone call.
2. If you have a mobile phone and a GPS connected to your headset, you may not be able to listen to the GPS voice instruction during the phone call.
The Bluetooth audio device must be paired with the 10U. The 10U supports the Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), so if your Bluetooth audio device also supports the AVRCP, you can use the 10U to remotely control music playback. Not only can you adjust the volume but you can also use functions such as play, pause, next track and previous track.
1. To play or pause music, press the Joystick for 1 second until you hear a double beep.
2. To adjust the volume, move the Joystick up or down
3. To track forward or track back, move and hold the Joystick for 1 second left or right.
You can start sharing music with an intercom friend using Bluetooth stereo music during a two-way intercom conversation. When you terminate music sharing, you can go
back to the intercom conversation. To start or terminate sharing music, press the Joystick for 1 second during an intercom conversation until you hear a double beep. To track forward or track back, move the Joystick left or right for 1 second.
1. Both you and your intercom friend can remotely control music playback such as track forward and track back.
2. Music sharing will be paused when you are using your mobile phone or listening to GPS instructions.
If you want to restore the headset to factory default settings, use the Factory Reset in the configuration menu. The headset automatically restores the default settings and turns off.
If you want to restore the Handlebar Remote to factory default settings, press the Front Button, the Rear Button, and the Joystick simultaneously for 1 second. The Handlebar Remote automatically restores the default settings and turns off.
When the 10U is not working properly or is in faulty status for any reason, you may reset by pushing the pin-hole reset button as shown in the picture below. Insert a paper clip into the reset pin-hole and press the reset button for a second with light pressure. The 10U will be switched off. Restart the system and try again. This will not restore the headset to factory default settings.
Pairing with other 10U Headsets for Intercom Conversation
The 10U can be paired with up to three other headsets for Bluetooth intercom conversation.
1. Turn on the two 10U headsets (A and B) that you would like to pair with each other.
2. Press and hold the Front Button of the headset A and B for 5 seconds until red LEDs of both units start to flash rapidly. You will hear a voice prompt, “Intercom pairing”.
3. Tap the Front Button on any one of the two headsets A and B, and wait unit the LEDs of both headsets turn to blue and intercom connection is automatically established. The two 10U headsets A and B are paired with each other for intercom conversation. If the pairing process is not completed within one minute, the 10U will return to stand-by mode.
4. You can make other pairing between headsets A and C, and between headsets A and D by following the same procedure as above.
5. The intercom pairing queue is ‘Last-Come, First-Served’. If a headset has multiple paired headsets for intercom conversations, the last paired headset is set as first intercom friend. The previous intercom friend becomes second intercom friend, and third intercom friend.
For example, after the pairing procedures listed above, headset D is the first intercom friend of headset A. Headset C is the second intercom friend of headset A, and headset B is the third intercom friend of headset A.
Starting Two-way Intercom
You can start an intercom conversation with one of any intercom friends by tapping the Front Button: Tap the Front Button once to intercom with the first intercom friend, tap the Front Button twice to intercom with the second intercom friend, and tap the Front Button three times to intercom with the third intercom friend.
Starting Three-way Intercom
You (A) can have a three-way conference intercom with two other 10U friends (B & C) by establishing two intercom connections simultaneously. While a three-way conference intercom is in progress, mobile phone connection of all three participants is temporarily disconnected. However, as soon as the conference intercom terminates or one of the participants leaves the intercom, all mobile phones automatically reconnect to their headsets. If you have an incoming mobile phone call during the conference intercom, terminate the conference intercom to automatically reconnect and receive the phone call.
1. You (A) need to be paired with two other friends (B & C) for three-way conference intercom.
2. Start an intercom conversation with one of the two friends in your intercom group. For example, you (A) may start an intercom conversation with the intercom friend (B). Or intercom friend (B) may start an intercom call with you (A).
3. You (A) can call the second intercom friend (C) by double tapping the Jog Dial, or the second intercom friend (C) may join the intercom by making an intercom call to you (A).
4. Now you (A) and two 10U intercom friends (B & C) are having a threeway conference intercom.
Starting Four-way Intercom
You can have four-way conference intercom with three other 10U users by adding one more intercom participant to the three-way intercom. While you are having a three-way intercom, a new participant (D), who is an intercom friend of your intercom friend (C), may join the conference intercom by making an intercom call to your intercom friend (C). Please note that in this case, the new participant (D) is an intercom friend of (C), not of you (A).
FM Radio On / Off
To turn on the FM radio, press the Rear Button for 1 second until you hear a mid-toned double beep sound. You will then hear a voice prompt, “FM on”. To turn off the FM radio, press the Rear Button for 1 second until you hear a voice prompt, “FM off”. When you power it off, the 10U will remember the last station frequency. When you power it on, the last station frequency will be playing.
“Scan” is the function that automatically searches station frequencies, starting from the current frequency and up. To use the scan function, please follow the procedures below:
1. Double tap the Rear Button. Then the current station frequency moves upward to find other station frequencies.
2. If the tuner finds a station, it stays at the station frequency for 8 seconds, then scanning to the next station frequency.
3. Scan function stops when you double tap the Rear Button again.
4. To save a station while scanning frequencies, tap the Rear Button when at that station. You will hear a voice prompt from the 10U, “Save preset (#)”. The station will be saved as the next preset number.
5. All stations preset during “Scan”, will overwrite previously set stations.
“Seek” is the function that searches for station to station frequencies. To use the “Seek” function, please follow the procedure below:
1. Move and hold the Joystick left or right for 1 second to search down or up the station dial.
2. If the tuner finds a station while searching frequencies, it stops the seek function.
3. To save the current station, press and hold the Front Button for 1 second until you hear a voice prompt, “Preset (#)”.
4. Move the Joystick up or down in order to select which preset number you want for that specific station. You can save up to 10 preset stations (You may cancel the preset operation by waiting approximately 10 seconds. You will then hear “Save preset cancelled”. You can also move the Joystick up or down until you hear “Cancel”. Tap the Front Button to confirm cancellation. You will then hear “Save preset cancelled”).
5. To save the current station, tap the Front Button again. You will then hear a voice prompt, “Save preset (#)”.
6. To delete the saved station in the preset number, tap the Rear Button. You will then hear a voice prompt, “Delete preset (#)”.